It is 2011, and I am a die-hard Anka fangirl.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 § 0

RCRD HAUL...Vancouver: Doesn't roll off the tongue as well as "RCRD HAUL, MONTREAL" does it?

Regardless, here is a gif of my recent record haul from various (Read: two) record stores on Main St, as well as the EP for Submarine Serena got me!


Please excuse the glare; I'm trying to keep all my new records in their packaging (I have yet to open any Foals records, because I'm a budding hoarder!)

I think the best find of the day was Anka at the Copa. Two dollars for a live recording during one of his performances at the Copacabana in New York (July 6, 1960).

He was 19 at the time and was "the youngest headliner in the history of the Copa." Paul Anka was unbelievably smooth as a teen. He seemed to have skipped the entire awkward stage of adolescence and glided into this eloquent and heart-wrenchingly suave crooner.

A young Paul Anka is what I would classify as a "debilitating babe", a babe that is so impressive, so mind-blowingly talented (and so good-looking that even if he wasn't talented), that one (as in, I) would find themselves (myself) unable to function properly in the mere presence of his being.

I would recommend watching this from the beginning - fangirls of the 60s chanting "WE WANT PAUL!" open the film - but for relevance, here is part 3 of Lonely Boy, a documentary about Paul Anka produced by the National Film Board of Canada. Jules Podell, owner of the Copacabana, talks about Paul Anka headlining at his club. (Part 4's a real kicker. Just watch the whole thing!)


What's this?

You are currently reading It is 2011, and I am a die-hard Anka fangirl. at schlorantics.

meta

§ Leave a Reply